Saturday, October 3, 2009

The Time Sure Does Fly By Doesn’t It?

Week 4

Wait…we have already been in school for a month?!?! Seems like just yester day I was in Orlando doing some last minute packing before the 3 hours drive to Gulf Coast.
WHY CAN'T IT BE SUMMER AGAIN!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUOHz6clCis&feature=player_embedded

Style && symbols my favorite elements in literature so far. Week four was probably the easiest week for me when it came to assignments and all that good stuff.

What did I learn?

“Party Down at the Square” is a hateful story. I can’t even begin to fathom treating another human being the way those individuals treated that man who was burned at the stake. I was shocked to read such terrible things happing not long ago. When I think back to the time of the civil war it just seems like a life time ago African Americans were persecuted for the color of their skin. When I hear or read about instances similar to “Party down at the square” it really hits home that to this day there are so many terrible people in this world doing terrible things to one another. This passage reminded me of a small chilly bar located on highway 44 in New Smyrna Beach. Outside of this run down shack looking restaurant was a sign that says in big bold letters you can see clear as day from the road “NO shoes, NO shirt, NO COLORDS, NO ATTITUDE, NO service.” I was dumbfounded that still people are so set in their racist ways. On the flip side of things the youtube clips we were assigned to watch entitled “Smoke signals How Do We Forgive Our Fathers” conveyed a more positive spiritual type of symbolism. Coming from a Christian family I could easily pick out when the clips would elude to biblical references. For instance when one clip clearly eluded to when Jesus fed thousands of people with just 2 fish and 5 loafs of bread.

What did I do?

This week was somewhat of a blur to me as I think back. I remember rushing to complete all of my assigned reading for Monday that week in the library only hours before class time. When it comes to lit reading I always have good intentions of trying to get it done early but with all of the other home work I have it seems to always end up as the last item on my list. I guess it doesn’t really matter all too much as long as I get it done. For me it usually just comes down to doing what ya gotta do to get stuff done.

How did I feel about what I learned, what I did and how I felt about what I learned and did?

I felt like this week was the week of good and evil.. you know like in the movies when someone has to make a hard decision and then the angel and devil characters show up on your shoulders. Their arguing back and forth representing both sides or your subconscious. They both symbolize very different paths, in every aspect of life there is always bad and good, and it’s up to you to make to best decision. “In party down at the square” I know the angel on those individuals shoulders missed a cab or something that night because he was nowhere to be found. Even though the series of events that took place that night were awful, and all who read that passage will judge those individuals. I know I have done things in my life that when I look back on I had wished my “shoulder angle” would have been there to stop me. I feel that you should live by others examples, learn from their mistakes, and attempt to create something positive from something negative.

1 comment:

  1. Powerful last line of this post, Emily... I look back on I had wished my “shoulder angel” would have been there to stop me. I feel that you should live by others' examples, learn from their mistakes, and attempt to create something positive from something negative.
    Out of every failure comes a lesson which can certainly lead to success.

    ReplyDelete